EP164 - News live from ICSC OAC
Jason & Scot gave a presentation at the International Council of Shopping Centers Open Air Centers show in Austin Texas and got together afterward to record a news update.
- Amazon Project Zero - New brand protection program
- Walmart Earnings. Same store sales up 4.2%, E-Com for the quarter up 43% (up 40% for the fiscal year), guidance for next year is that e-com will grow 35%. Profitability of e-commerce continues to be a challenge for Walmart, and they expect that to continue. Walmart stores offering "Online Grocery Pickup" (OGP)_ grew from 800 to 2100 stores this year, and is expected to grow to 3100 next year.
- JCPenneys Earnings. Revenue down 8.4%, same store sales down -4% (vs. 4.3% expected). They announced the closure of 18 stores, and said to expect more in subsequent years).
- L Brands Earnings - Victoria's Secret same store sales down 7%, will close 53 stores.
- FedEx launched a new delivery robot, SameDay Bot
- Stamps.com dropped it's exclusive deal with USPS, a possible precursor to an Amazon partnership (or acquisition).
- Target launched Target Plus, a new invite only marketplace to expand Targets online assortment.
- Marketplace software vendor Mirikl announced a new $70M fund raise, reflecting investor confidence in the marketplace model.
Jason will be at ShopTalk in Las Vegas next week and will moderate two panels:
MONDAY, MARCH 4, 2019 TRACK 4, SESSION 4: 2:50PM - 3:30PM
TOPIC: Selling on Marketplaces
- John Evons, VP, Global Direct-to-Consumer, KEEN
- Bridget Davies, VP, Revenue & Seller Growth EBay
- Jordan Bass, Head of eCommerce, The Wonderful Company
TUESDAY, MARCH 5, 2019 TRACK 2, SESSION 5: 3:35PM - 4:15PM
TOPIC: Creating a Single View of the Customer
- Charlie Cole, Chief Ecommerce Officer, Samsonite
- Steve Miller, SVP, Marketing & eCommerce, JOANN Stores
- Greg Fancher, SVP & Chief Information Officer, Express
Jason and Scot will be giving a joint presentation (and recording a live show) from ChannelAdvisor Connect in Austin on April 8th and 9th.
Don't forget to like our facebook page, and if you enjoyed this episode please write us a review on itunes.
Episode 164 of the Jason & Scot show was recorded on Thursday, February 28th, 2019.
Join your hosts Jason "Retailgeek" Goldberg, Chief Commerce Strategy Officer and Scot Wingo, CEO of GetSpiffy and Executive Chairman of Channel Advisor as they discuss the latest news and trends in the world of e-commerce and digital shopper marketing.