EP218 - Amazon Q1 2020 Earnings and Covid News
Episode 218 covers some Covid-19 related e-commerce news, and provides an analysis of Amazon’s Q1 2020 Earnings.
Next weeks show will be a live listener question show. Join our Zoom webinar on May 6th at 9pm ET, and you can watch us make a show, and ask your own questions.
- Shopify becoming a marketplace?
- Google shopping is now free
- Covid impact
- 630,000 retail businesses have been closed since mid-March (about 61% of sf sq)
- Forrester 16% E-Com -> 25% in april (70% digital influence)
- 3% digital grocery -> 10% digital Grocery
- Goldman Sachs: Retail Chain down 20.9%
- ShopperTrack: Traffic down 48%
- Bankruptcies – JCREW, Neiman, JCP, Tuesday Morning, Lord & Taylor
- Gordon Brothers 25,000 stores and 100,000 restaurants could end up closing permanently this year
- UBS 100,000 retailers close by 2025 (15% -> 25% e-com penetration)
- Everyone making PPE
- Happy Story: Pets (“adopt a pet” surged about 335% in volume)
Simon Properties Opening Plans
Amazon Q1 2020 Earnings
Don’t forget to like our facebook page, and if you enjoyed this episode please write us a review on itunes.
Episode 218 of the Jason & Scot show was recorded live on Thursday, April 30th, 2020.
Join your hosts Jason "Retailgeek" Goldberg, Chief Commerce Strategy Officer at Publicis, and Scot Wingo, CEO of GetSpiffy and Co-Founder of ChannelAdvisor as they discuss the latest news and trends in the world of e-commerce and digital shopper marketing.