- Amazon licensing it’s Amazon Go “Just Walkout Technology” to Hundai in S. Korea
- Whole Foods now selling via Alexa
- Whole Foods offering 30-minute windows for curbside pickup
- Party City selling on Amazon
- Earnings – Same Store Sales up 6% y/y (highest in 10 years)
- 40% E-Com Growth
- Traffic and Tickets up 2% in US
- Grocery pickup is now in more than 1,800 locations (40% of US Pop by EOY)
- “Clearly, the consumer backdrop is favorable, we’re getting a little bit of benefit from that”, Dan Binder VP Investor Relations
- Allowing 3p returns in stores
- Walmart co-leads $500M investment in Chinese online grocery service Dada-JD Daojia
- Same Store Sales up 6.5% y/y (highest in 13yrs)
- E-Com Up 41% (vs 36% last year)
- Traffic up 6.4%
- “I’ve been doing this for a long time, and I think this is the healthiest environment I’ve ever seen” Target CEO Brian Cornell
- Same Day Delivery 1100 stores / Curbside pickup 800 stores
- Owned Brand Cat & Jack $2B in 1 year
- 4,379 closures / 2,239 opens = 2,100 net fewer stores (net 2800 reduction in stores in 2017)
- Loss of 35M ft sq of retail space (closed stores are typically smaller footprint than new store openings)
- Industrial space is now MORE expensive than retail space
Don’t forget to like our facebook page, and if you enjoyed this episode please write us a review on itunes.
Episode 142 of the Jason & Scot show was recorded on Thursday, August 23rd, 2018.
Join your hosts Jason “retailgeek” Goldberg, SVP Commerce & Content at SapientRazorfish, and Scot Wingo, Founder and Executive Chairman of Channel Advisor as they discuss the latest news and trends in the world of e-commerce and digital shopper marketing.