EP035 - E-Commerce Deadly Sins
A list of the 15 common mistakes we see in digital commerce:
- Requiring the user to create an account to checkout (See $300M button, now known to be Best Buy)
- Spending too much on Adwords vs PLA's
- Not offering Free shipping
- Not having a fully developed channel strategy
- Not telling the shopper “when they will get it”
- Overfocus on customer acquisition, not enough on retention
- Not having a prominent Search box
- Over emphasis on mobile app vs mobile website
- Lack of social proof (rating & reviews, question & answer, user generated content
- Omni-channel failures (not having accurate inventory)
- Poor product photography
- Too much checkout friction (too many fields, leaving header/footer on)
- Pricing surprises in the checkout
- Prominent Promo field in the checkout (See: Promo field is costing Sears $16M/mo)
- Poor Pageload Speed (too many 3rd party tags, especially on mobile)
Don't forget to like our facebook page, and if you enjoyed this episode please write us a review on itunes.
Episode 35 of the Jason & Scot show was recorded on Wednesday, July 6th, 2016.
Join your hosts Jason "Retailgeek" Goldberg, SVP Commerce & Content at Razorfish, and Scot Wingo, Founder and Executive Chairman of Channel Advisor as they discuss the latest news and trends in the world of e-commerce and digital shopper marketing.